Bryngolwg Free Mission is an independent fellowship of believers, overlooking the small community of Miskin in the town of Mountain Ash.
Over a 110 years, believers have gathered to worship God and have been committed to preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
As a fellowship our three main focuses are
Our first priority is our focus on God. Worship is where we place our affections, desires and love. Because we were all created to worship God and love him, this is where we begin
The bible shows us the truth of who we really are, that apart from God's love and mercy we have no hope. Because Jesus Christ is God's amazing plan for salvation, we look inward, not only to come to him for forgiveness and life but to grow in relationship with him through prayer and applying his word (the bible) in every area of our lives.
In Matthew 28 Jesus said that those who follow him weren't only to worship God or grow in deeper intimacy with Him and other believers, but were also to tell others about the good news of salvation and show christ-centred love to the last, the least and the lost (which pretty much describes everyone, whether they know it or not). Making disciples is the believer's main call in life, and this is the call that BFM has in the surrounding communities.
The Mission Hall was built in 1907 by the Presbyterian movement to accommodate the ever-increasing flow of migrant workers from Somerset and surrounding English counties. Its first minister was Jack Davis who presided from 1918 to the late 1930s.
During that time it doubled as a soup kitchen to aid the poor and impoverished during the infamous 1926 strike and the resulting depression years. The Mission Hall closed for worship around 1946 and was subsequently sold to become a button factory and some years later in 1954 ceased to function and closed its doors. The Fellowship had continued to meet and worship in a local gardeners hut situated at the bottom of Windsor Road and these dear ladies collected money and even put up their own homes as collateral to enable worship to be restored to the ‘little chapel up on the hill.’ as it is affectionately known.
From the 1940s up to the 1960s ministry was supplied primarily from its sister church the English Calvinistic Methodist chapel in Duffryn Street, Mountain Ash, which sadly is no more, being demolished in 2004. From 1995 to the present day the mission has enjoyed pastoral oversight and is currently being overseen by eldership and deacons.
Acknowledgement to A.V Jones (Cynon Valley History Society)
Our Leadership team
Cive has been a member of Bryngolwg Free Mission since 2003 and has been on our leadership team since 2005. He is married to Helen and lives in the nearby village of Darran Las. He is a fan of Cardiff City F.C and has enjoyed football all his life.
John, who is originally from the Rhondda has been part of the fellowship since 2002 and came to faith in Jesus Christ 2004. He has faithfully served as our treasurer for more than a decade and continues to do so.
Roy grew up in the nearby village of Perthcelyn and has lived in other parts of Mountain Ash for most of his life. He came to Christ in 1993 and joined BFM in 2008. He is married to Pat and has a passion for evangelism. He is also a big fan of Manchester United.
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength,
They will soar on wings like eagles,
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.